Category Archives: dotNET

VS2008 Beta2 VPCs will expire November 1st. BACK UP YOUR DATA!

From Jeff Beehler on Microsoft’s VSTS team:

We recently discovered that the VPCs we distributed as part of the VS2008 Beta2 release will expire on Thursday, November 1, 2007, much earlier than we had originally expected.  Since the timeout is at the OS level, we cannot automatically extend the timeout period.  As such we are currently in the process of reissuing the VPCs and expect to make them available early next week.

In the meantime, for anyone that has stored information in TFS that they need to access moving forward, we recommend that you immediately backup the TFS databases in preparation to move them to the updated VPCs.  For information to complete these steps, please refer to the documentation on Moving Team Foundation Server.

We’re still working on additional guidance to respond to this situation.  As more information becomes available, I’ll post it here. 

Note this is NOT talking about regular installations but the actual VPCs

Did I hear an Echo? Yes, it’s Beta2 Beta2 Beta2

VS2008 Beta2 has been released. Read all about it here on Scott Guthrie’s blog. Pay special attention to the special installation instructions. And if you could give me another few hours to get it downloaded before you hop on the bandwagon (or bandwidth as that may be), that would be oh so kind of you.

This is the biggest milestone towards the release. COngrats to all who have been working so hard on this.

ClickOnce on Vista installation problem SOLVED!

A few months ago, ClickOnce broke on my Vista machine where I was doing development. I had the same problem on my Vista laptop which I use for travelling and presentations. The short story about the problem is that whenever I tried to install a clickonce app, Vista went into this never-ending loop of insisting that I install .NET Framework and WinFx Runtime Components. The detailed description of the problem is blogged here.

A few people posted comments saying they had the same problem. Yesterday another person left a similar comment which put me on the trail to try to get it solved again. Patrick Darragh, who was a previous owner of ClickOnce at Microsoft hooked me up with Scott Tucker who is now working with ClickOnce. After I packed up my project and some other files to send to Scott, I emailed some of the people who had left comments to see what their status was.

One of them, John Sinclair, emailed me back saying that he had figured out the problem! (I will refrain from entering about a hundred exclamation points there. :-))

It turned out that by using .NET’s command line tool, MAGEUI to manually build manifests was the source of my problem. What I didn’t realize, until John pointed it out, is that the first time you select a different program to run, Vista has the checkbox for “always use this” ON BY DEFAULT. That’s bad bad bad. I thought defaults were supposed to be false  [Don Kiely has a better end for my sentence:] “safe and sensible”.

 Then when trying to install ANY clickonce application, for example, the XAML Pad app in this post by Charles Petzold, would somehow trigger the .NET installer. It doesn’t make perfect sense to me why trying to open up MAGEUI from Internet Explorer would fire off all of that nonsense, but that’s what it did.

So the fix was to go into Vista’s Default Programs settings (available from the start button, then into “Associate a file type or protocol with a program” and change the default app to “Application Deployment Support Library”. Here is what it looked like before I fixed the problem

Oddly, while IE7 exhibited this problem, Firefox did not. However Firefox must still be using the default app lists because it doesn’t have any information about what to do with .application files in it’s settings:

 

VS2005 Windows Forms DataSource/TableAdapter Wizard wierdness

I recently whipped together a small tool for a client and because it was so small (and for only one person to use), I used some simple drag n’ drop wizardry for the form. I created a datasource pointing to a table in the SQL Server 2005 database on my develpment machine then dragged that datasource onto a form to create a navigation toolbar and a screenfull of text boxes and checkboxes.

When I finished it up and pointed it to the live SQL Server 2000 database I was having some strange issues with inserts and updates. Specifically, SQL Server was throwing this error: “Error converting data type varchar to bit.”

A little digging showed me that the TSQL being sent to the databse was passing “True” and “False” to the bit fields rather than 0 and 1.

SQL Server 2005 didn’t seem to mind this, but SS2000 sure did!

I looked at the dataset that was created by the wizard and the bit fields were properly identified as booleans.

But when I looked at the parameters collections of the Insert and Update statements that the wizard had built, I could see that the properties of my boolean values was set to DbType=AnsiString.

So even though I prefered to know why I was seeing a difference between SS2005 and SS2000, I modified the auto-generated Insert & Update statements to make the DbType “Boolean” which passed 0’s and 1’s up to the database and everyone was happy. Changint the DbType to Boolean automatically changed the ProviderType to “Bit”. 

I have seen a few threads where people pointed out this problem but never saw any suggest my solution or provide a reason for SS2000 rejecting it. If this wizard is meant to be used by newbies, I don’t know how they would deal with a problem like this.