When VS2008 SP1 beta was released on Monday, I was getting ready to head for Toronto to present three sessions at DevTeach which would be on Wednesday and Thursday. One session was on Astoria another touched LINQ to SQL/EF and DataSets and the last was a deep dive into EF with respect to tiered programming.
The new bits would impact these talks, especially the Astoria and deep dive EF talk a lot and I truly did not want to show people what were now incorrect namespaces, classes whose names had changed, Entity Graphs that did not serialize with services, etc etc.
I made a scary decision and took a huge risk. I updated all of my demos to align with SP1 – this I did on my dev box at home. This was more than a matter of tweaking some EDMX files and changing class names. The tiered applications needed to be completely reconsidered, rearchitected and rewritten. When I had gotten far enough in this process that I was confident I could finish the transition up, I knew it was time to get the SP1 bits onto my presentaiton laptop.
This didn’t go so well. I started the install just before I headed off to my user group meeting. Six hours later I returned to see the install failed because the vista windows sidebar was on. This was 10:30pm. I worked at trying to get the new bits installed until 9am the next morning and then had to give up and head for the airport. To be safe, I threw my CPU, which had what I needed, into my suitcase!
At the speaker dinner that night in Toronto, I was offered a VPC by scott Hanselman who is my savior for the month of May. It already had Vista on it, with VS2008, the Service pack and even Fiddler which I needed for the Atoria session. It was a full day since I began this installation. I hadn’t slept and I hadn’t been able to complete the demo transitions but I was fully committed.
Or perhaps should be committed.
I pushed my EF debugging skills full bore. But there was more to deal with since the VPC wasn’t quite the same as my setup. I had to install all of my databases and change all of the connection strings (there were a lot) inthe many many projects for the 3 sessions in addition to running thorugh every single demo to see where things weren’t working.
I didn’t get everything fixed on time and had to go into my presentations knowing that I’d have to skip a few demos and hoped that the bulk of the attendees would feel the same as I did about being able to see how things are not how things were. I think the feelings were mixed (sorry to anyone who found my decision not to be the best).
There is still one entity sql query that is driving me nuts. It keeps saying that “customer” doesn’t exist, though the query looks at Customers. Almost as though I had cached something.
I got a few hours of sleep, had chocolate and coffee as my critical helpers, bit the bullet and went for it.
But boy oh boy, I’m not sure if I really need this kind of excitement in my life! 🙂
I still need to tighten the rest up so I can get the demos up ontot he DevTeach website, but since not many of the session attendees have SP1 installed yet, hopefully they won’t mind waiting a few days.
Sign up for my newsletter so you don't miss my conference & Pluralsight course announcements!