Fun with .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 side by side on web server

I put .NET 2.0 on my client’s web server the other day. Both 2.0 and 1.1 asp.net apps continued to run just fine.

Last night I was mucking with some of the mappings in .NET 2.0 and they weren’t taking. So I did an iisreset. Here’s where that led me (to the best of my recollection)

  • 1.1 apps: Server Unavailable, 2.0 apps okay
  • run aspnet_regiis -i  for 1.1
  • 2.0 apps Server Unavailable, 1.1 apps okay
  • iis reset
  • 1.1 apps: Server unavailable, 2.0 apps okay
  • aspnet_regiis -i for 1.1
  • 1.1 apps okay, 2.0 apps okay
  • close the MMC for iis
  • 1.1 apps okay, 2.0 apps server unavailable
  • aaargh!! That shouldn’t have happened.
  • aspnet_regiiis -i for 2.0
  • 1.1 apps: Server Unavailable, 2.0 apps okay
  • aspnet_regiiis -i for 1.1
  • both okay
  • don’t touch a damned thing
  • slept with my fingers crossed
  • this morning – both still okay but I realize that clickonce deployment on the 2.0 site is broken.

Most of the above problems could have probably been avoided if I used some of the other available parameters for aspnet_regiis, such as -sn for fixing the mappings on just one application.

Update, though using the -sn was a good thing, the root of the problem (thanks to some reminders in the comments) was that I had neglected to create a separate Application Pool for the .net 2.0 websites. They were running in the same process as the asp.net 1.1 sites. So far, everyone has been behaving properly.

Don’t Forget: www.acehaid.org

  Sign up for my newsletter so you don't miss my conference & Pluralsight course announcements!  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.