When the dataset class of your XSD disappears

It took me some time to figure this out and now I feel like a dope, but I figure I would stick this in here for the next poor sot who has a similar brain …ummm.. gap.

I added some fields to a typed dataset. Since my brain was in sql data mode, I tagged one of the fields as a char rather than a string. No error message. Except the class file disappeared, my application wouldn’t compile because the class no longer existed.

I toggled the “Generate Dataset” option on and off and on and off to no avail. I viewed the xml. I closed and opened the project. Finally I tried “Preview Dataset” and it gave me a wierd looking error message but luckily the word “char” caught my eye and I saw the light.

Hope this helps someone googling for the same problem someday.

  Sign up for my newsletter so you don't miss my conference & Pluralsight course announcements!  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.